California is one of my favourite places in the US, but can definitely be expensive. Here i will be sharing my top 10 budget friendly things to do in this magical state!
- Whale watching cruise from Newport beach. This cheap but exciting tour lasts 2.5 hours and lets you experience the wildlife first hand. Watch the rugged, beautiful scenery of the pacific coast glide by as you listen to interesting commentary. Tickets are from £18.84, and you can watch out for dolphins and humpback whales!
- Visit Mission San Luis Rey Museum. In San Diego, this National historic landmark was founded in 1798. Included in the ticket, you get a self-guided tour and get to see several parts of the property. The tickets are from £5.30! This day out is a cheap and exciting way to spend less cash.
- San Francisco bus hop-on hop-off tour. Explore San Francisco’s most iconic attractions the fun and easy way on a hop-on hop-off bus tour. Ride aboard a comfortable, double-decker coach while listening to live commentary on passing highlights of the cities history. Hop on or off at any of 24 different stops. Tickets are just £18.80.
- Golden Gate Bay Cruise. Explore one of California’s most iconic settings from the beauty of San Francisco Bay. This hour-long, narrated Golden Gate Bay cruise journeys alongside Alcatraz and Angel Island State Park, past the shores of Sausalito and beneath the Golden Gate Bridge. Tickets are from £24.10, and you can choose to either view the sights from inside your boat or out on deck.
- Catalina Island Golf Gardens Miniature Golf. For a family-friendly activity on Catalina Island, visit Golf Gardens Miniature Golf in Avalon. As you play through the 18-hole course, enjoy the challenging and attractive layout for just £7.50!
- Visit The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. Spend the day in Los Angeles admiring awe-inspiring dinosaurs, exotic gemstones, unique creatures and much more. For just £9.00, it’s the perfect family-friendly way to beat the heat.
- 7D DarkRide at Pier 39. Battle fearsome zombies, oversize monsters or robot bandits, all without leaving San Francisco! Choose your own adventure, then buckle up and grab a laser blaster for for an immersive virtual reality quest to take down your opponents. The thrilling experience is only £9.30.
- Santa Monica Pier. This bustling wooden wharf is the place to be, with its eateries, shops, high-tech arcade, roller coaster, giant Ferris wheel and other rides, famous 1922 indoor merry-go-round and fantastic views of the bay. For no fee at all, you can go visit the beach for free!
- Hollywood Star Tour. Take a 2-hour driving tour that features the glitz, glamour, and celebrities of Hollywood. The sights include: the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theater, Mulholland Drive, Beverly Hills mansions, and a trip down Rodeo Drive and the Sunset Strip. For only £22.60, you can experience Hollywood in a totally different light!
- Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and Sausalito Half-Day Trip. For a slightly larger price, wander through an ancient coastal redwood forest and explore the artistic bayside enclave of Sausalito on this half-day tour from San Francisco. Travel across the Golden Gate Bridge to visit Muir Woods, home to some of the oldest and tallest trees on Earth. Then, soak up stellar views of the San Francisco skyline and browse art galleries along the Sausalito waterfront. For £46.70, this experience is extraordinary.
Thank you for reading! If you have any questions on California feel free to leave a comment or send me an email xo
Have you visited California? What was your favourite feature? Leave a comment below 🙂